Saturday, February 15, 2020

Don't Need To Be Drunk To Dance


I was at the bar waiting for some live music to start. The bar tender is a friend of mine and he makes me special drinks; no alcohol, usually something fruity, I let him use his imagination. Of course I was expecting the conversation that came next from the guy sitting next to me “you don’t drink?” Ah… no… I don’t. Why do they always have to make it sound like I’m a unicorn or something? It’s not unheard of you know. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve had the same conversation. They think it’s crazy that I don’t drink in the first place, but don’t drink and I’m out at a bar? Looking to have a fun time dancing to some live music? Unheard of.


I was giggly and having a fun time and the other bartender asked what I had been drinking, knowing full well it was a non-alcoholic drink. He was kidding, but so many people aren’t. Why do they always make the assumption that just because someone doesn’t drink they don’t know how to have a good time? Just last night another guy made the assumption that if I didn’t drink I also wasn’t a “party girl.” No, I wouldn’t consider myself a “party girl” but I certainly appreciate a good party.


As those back at home know, I like to dance. Ironically, more often than not, I’m the only one dancing at a bar full of people who had been drinking. I get a high from the music pulsing through me and I get drunk on the excitement of friends and fun. Why make it so I don’t remember any of it in the morning? What’s the point of that? I have been to plenty of parties and events where there was no drinking and we all had a fantastic time. There was even one alcohol free music festival where the crowd got so crazy there was a mosh pit! Now they knew how to have a good time without any alcohol! 


You don’t need to be drunk to have fun. You don’t have to be high to have a good time. I know I will probably have this same conversation hundreds of times over, but that won’t stop me from going out anyway. If there’s some good music and good company, I’ll be found on the dance floor with the rest of them. I just might have a higher chance of remembering it in the morning.




(I’m not against drinking, I just choose not to)

No comments:

Post a Comment