Thursday, January 15, 2015

Many Hats

Today is National Hat Day. I have many different hats, both literally and metaphorically. Literally I have over twenty different hats of all different styles, colors, and for all different occasions. I have fedoras, some for every day wear and some for when I'm a spy. I have sun hats of all the colors of the rainbow for at the beach. Then, if that wasn't enough, I also have a classic pirate tri-corner hat for when I'm a pirate, a few Santa hats for Christmas time, and some top hats for being the Mad Hatter. Then I have three or four real, statement hats, two of which require a very special occasion to wear. Each of these hats calls for a different occasion, a different outfit, a different costume, a different identity. This brings me to the metaphorical side of things.

I am a writer, I am also a swimmer, I am a college graduate with my associates degree, I like to decorate cakes, and I like to create movies, I am a collector of knee high socks, and apparently a collector of hats. I am many different things and am proud of every single one of them. As I continue to go through life I will continue to collect hats, hobbies, occupations, labels I will go by. One day I hope to add author to the list along with many more including wife and mother. Some of the hats will be lost or forgotten over time, while many more will be added. Each one will be used for a different reason.

My mother gave a speech with a similar hat centered theme at my graduation celebration last month. The thing that stuck out to me the most was that she said some hats will be difficult to wear, but that God would always give you the right hat for the situation. I believe that this is true and I look forward to seeing what hats He has in store for me in the future. Whatever hats you wear, whether literally or metaphorically, wear them proudly today and every other day.

Happy National Hat Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment