Friday, March 11, 2016

Never Grow Up

"Never Grow Up" That's been my motto for as long as I can remember. I've been a Peter Pan Girl since I was really little. I’ve lost count of how many Peter Pan themed birthday parties I’ve had. And I’ve seen and read nearly every rendition of the Peter Pan story that exists. I've even said that I don't want to marry prince charming, I want to marry Peter Pan. Someone who knows how to have fun and stay young at heart. Peter Pan is the definition of my childhood and I have always said it will also be the definition of my "adult hood."

So, as you can probably imagine, finding that it was time for me to go to college, get my driver’s license, get a job, move out, was all quite hard for me. Every grown up thing I allow myself to do literally feels like a piece of the child within me is being ripped away. It is not a good feeling. So, when I was up late the other night finding myself getting excited about my future, well, it also started me thinking about that little girl inside who is nowhere near ready to disappear yet. And I don't ever want her to. Staying young at heart, but yet admitting that it is inevitable that you do need to grow up sometime, is a difficult balancing act. I know that I can't live with my parents forever and I need to get a job. But does that mean I have to “grow up”? Do I need to leave my childhood behind me and "act like an adult" all the time? Or am I allowed to still be a kid sometimes? It is important to be responsible. It's important to be able to take care of yourself. But is it not just as important to let the child inside come out and play sometimes? I think it is.

I still believe that it is possible to be a responsible adult but to always be a child at heart. Where it really matters. As I surprise myself by getting excited about my future and my adult life, my favorite Peter Pan quote comes to mind. It reminds me that the adventures, the fun in life happen in more than just your child hood. There are grand adventures in adulthood too. And life is the adventure. So, as I set off on this next great adventure, both the adult me and the child me both excited and scared, I remember that "to live would be an awfully big adventure" and living means growing up. It just doesn't have to be all the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment